Episode 1 – Why I started this Podcast
- When can you listen to podcasts? When you clean up around the house, go on walks
- What’s the difference between audio and video content? You can listen to audio content anywhere, whereas to watch video content you have to pay attention to it.
- Why is English so important today? It allows you to communicate with people around the world.
- What are the 4 elements of language learning? Reading, Writing, Speaking, Listening
- What is one of Jorge’s biggest dreams in life? To write a book of stories
- What is the 1% rule? Every time you do something, try to do it 1% better than the last time.
Episode 2 – Tips for English Learners
- What was Jorge’s mistake when he tried to learn German in 2016? He put too much pressure on himself and tried to binge learn using one method.
- What was Jorge’s experience at the beginning when he encountered Germans in social settings? People were shy to speak in English, and because he couldn’t speak German he felt uncomfortable.
- What’s Jennifer’s advice to learners at the beginning when they can’t speak the language yet? 1. Listen to the language and your brain will build synapses. 2. Have realistic expectations of yourself.
- What broke down the barrier in Jorge’s brain to speak German? Moving to the south of Germany. This allowed him to get a new start and change his mindset.
- What was Jorge’s strategy to learn German when he moved to Freiburg? He developed the Freiburg 100 list.
- What can you do when you don’t have people to speak English with? Look for a tandem partner online.
- What can we learn from children? To get back up and try again.
Episode 3 – Canadians in Germany Perspective
- What has been difficult for Kyle to adapt to? The language barrier
- Why does Kyle think that books about German stereotypes are not helpful? Because German is diverse and not as homogeneous as it was in the 1950’s.
- Has it been easy for Kyle to communicate to Germans in English? Yes
- Do most people in the English speaking part of Canada speak French? No
- What was one of Kyle’s culture shock? Apartments with no kitchens. FKK
- What did Jorge see the first time he went to a sauna in Germany? An older woman with her legs stretched out.
- Does Kyle like German bread? Yes
- What difference does Jorge mention between Germany and Canada? The directness of Germans
- Where has Jorge noticed the biggest differences between cultures? At the dinner table
Episode 4 – Achieve Your Goals in 2021
- Why does Jorge get frustrated when people say he’s talented at languages? Because he learned languages with discipline and hard work.
- What’s the 1% rule? Making small changes in your life that add up after some time.
- What happened on the 2nd of January, 2020? Jorge was shocked by how heavy he had become so he started training with Freeletics.
- How did Jorge track (measure) his sugar consumption? With the app Momentum.
- What are the three habits Jorge developed in 2020? Training, less sugar, and better sleep quality.
- How did improving his sleep quality change Jorge’s life? It improved his energy levels, memory, and mood.
- What’s the habit that Jorge recommends above all others? To focus on getting better sleep.
- What has Jorge done to make it easier for him to train (workout)? He has a yoga mat, shorts and shoes right next to his desk.
Episode 5 – Why I Love Texas
- Why did Jorge move to Texas? To be with a girl
- What did Jorge tell Jenn when she started walking to the supermarket that was 200m away from the house? To get in the car
- What is one reason that could explain why North Americans are less physically active compared to Germans? The infrastructure
- What does the Texan accent sound like to Jorge? Friendly, approachable
- Why are there traffic jams in Texas on Sundays? Because people are going to church.
- What percentage of what we recycle actually gets recycled? 30%
- What did Carmen do when Jorge told her he didn’t have money for gas? She gave him her birthday money.
Episode 6 – Born For More
- Where was Lidia born? Guatemala
- What did Lidia do to earn extra money? She sold books on the street.
- Which country did Lidia move to? Costa Rica
- What did Lidia do when she visited Germany for the first time? She spoke to Germans in French.
- What was Jorge afraid of when he first moved to Germany? He was afraid to speak German.
- What can we do to overcome our fears? Become aware of our fears and then face them with courage.
- What did Jorge do for money when he moved to Germany? He started teaching English.
- How can we develop more determination? Start small. Make small changes.
Episode 7 – 3 Years in Paradise
- What were Jorge’s reasons for staying in Costa Rica? He thought he could improve his Spanish and escape Canadian winter.
- How did Jorge make his decision to stay in Costa Rica? He flipped a coin
- How did Jorge prepare for exams when he was in Costa Rica? He would memorize the information in English and then translate everything back to Spanish
- When did Jorge meet his wife? During his second year in Costa Rica
- What is the meaning of pura vida? Literally: pure life. It refers to a mindset of being satisfied and grateful for the life you have.
- What are Costa Ricans like? They’re happy, hospitable, friendly, relaxed
- How can you create serendipity? By going out and meeting new people
Episode 8 – Germany: A Love Story
- How did Jorge feel at the beginning of his time in Germany? He was unhappy
- What did Benny tell Jorge one day when they went out to eat? That he was Jorge’s friend.
- What was the compromise that Jorge and Jennifer made? To move to the south of Germany
- Who was Jorge’s unofficial German teacher? Doris
- Do our brains remember positive or negative experiences more? Negative ones
- Are stereotypes helpful when trying to develop new relationships? No
Episode 9 – Life is a Carnival
- Why were Jorge and his brothers excited to see a pig? Because they had never seen one before.
- What is the name of the resort town Jorge went to with his family when he was 12? Varadero
- What did Jorge notice at the market and different restaurants in Cuba? They didn’t have products or food to sell.
- What keeps a lot of developing countries poor? A lack of education and access to healthcare.
- What do many of us do when the internet doesn’t work? We complain.
Episode 10 – Should I Invest in Bitcoin?
- What type of returns has Florian seen in the last 30 days? 200%
- Is Bitcoin a centralized or decentralized system? Decentralized
- What is the total number of Bitcoin that will be available? 21 million
- What can you do to decrease your risk in the crypto market? Look for coins with a high market cap. Invest in Bitcoin.
- Do I need to understand every aspect of Bitcoin in order to invest in it? NO
- What is the first thing you should know before you invest? Know your risk tolerance
- What are some coins Florian recommends? Bitcoin, Ethereum, Polkadot