The Uk (Ep. 41)
- What accent does Simon have? (03:02) Southerner – South East England
- True or false: There are but a few British accents. (03:50) False. There are many accents.
- What is more common in the UK – a different accent or a different dialect? (12:36) Different accents
- What does Jorge suggest would be a great profession for Nic? (16:15) He should work for the radio.
- What is the purpose of the word “pure” in Simon’s regional accent? (20:43) It is used as an intensifier.
- True or False: Simon’s wife came to New Castle as an Au Pair. (22:19) False. She came as an Erasmus student
- What is the purpose of communication (small talk) for English speakers? (29:04) Relationship building – To have good relationships
- What is Nic and Simon’s podcast called? (31:45) Decades from Home
How to Small Talk (Ep. 42)
- Why does small talk have a bad reputation? (1:59) Because people think it’s very superficial and it feels forced.
- What’s a big difference between American networking events and German networking events? (5:00) Americans go to make new contacts whereas Germans tend to go to reconnect with old contacts or introduce colleagues to existing contacts.
- What does Ashely say about German kindness? When do Germans show their kindness? (11:00) They first want to get to know you before they are able to show you their kindness.
- What should you pay attention to when you ask someone the question, “How are you”? (14:54) To the tone of voice.
- What are the three tips Ashley gives to improve small talk skills? (22:58) No rehearsed questions, active listening, follow up questions
- What do Ashley and Jorge call the back and forth in a small talk scenario? (28:48) Ping Pong effect
The Ukraine (Ep. 43)
- What does Anastasia do to not fall into depression or negative thoughts in the current situation of war in Ukraine? work (02:19) serving others when you are in a bad place yourself (02:58)
- What are the three needs that Ukrainian refugee women currently have? 04:40 (accommodation + daycare and school for their kids; Jobs)
- What does every Western Ukrainian do for the Easter celebration? They put on traditional national dresses (11:35)
- What is Anastasia’s favorite dish? Mashed Potatoes (13:42)
- What is the first quality of Ukrainians Anastasia mentions? bravery (15:35)
- What is the definition of a refugee according to Anastasia’s new understanding? A refugee is a person who had to leave their home, not because they wanted to but because they had to (21:10)
Language Apps & Accents (Ep. 44)
- What does Ian say about language apps? Does he recommend them as a substitute or as a supplement? – As a supplement. (05:28)
- What is Ian’s slogan on his podcast to encourage his learners? – “If you are learning a language to do something with it – Do something with it” (09:00)
- Since when has Ian been working as an English teacher? – Since 2009. (13:37)
- What is Ian’s summary of what language apps are good for? They are good for repetitive tasks. (19:42)
- Many of Ian’s students are traumatized by something they experienced in the German school system. What is it? – The fixation on perfection and that you cannot make mistakes. (22:10)
- What is the question you should ask yourself as a trainer? – Am I here to impart knowledge or to show these people how good I am? (26:13)
- Ian summarizes the advantages of language apps at the end of the interview. Which of the following aspects does he NOT mention? (Answer c.) (32:35)
Language apps are good:
- a) as a supplement
- b) for gamification purposes
- c) to practice speaking with a native speaker
- d) because they are easily accessible
The Memory Expert (Ep. 46)
- What was Florian’s personal learning project that got him interested in the topic of memorization? (03:33) He wanted to memorize the book of Romans in the Bible
- What’s the name of the first technique that Florian applied successfully and therefore highly recommends? (07:54) The Memory Palace
- How long did it take Florian to memorize the Presidents of the United States with the help of the Memory Palace? (13:06) He memorized them in 45-60 minutes.
- When memorizing we need to create pictures in our minds. What is very important especially when memorizing vocabulary in a foreign language? (18:26) You need to create pictures that also add the sound of the word into the picture so that you can remember the pronunciation of the word when reviewing your vocabulary.
- What is the English word that Florian wants to memorize by creating a picture of a “Tom & Jerry essen Kirschen”? (18:40) Cherry.
- What is so special about memorizing someone’s name? (24:38) It immediately creates a connection with the other person.