The Miracle Cure
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
There is an intervention that will enhance your immune system, lower your risk of depression and even improve your love life. That magical therapy is called gratitude.
Every weekend, when I’m in the city, I see groups of people protesting something. Someone is always unhappy about some new topic. I believe in protest, but we get sick when complaining becomes a regular part of our lives.
So how can we incorporate more gratitude into our lives?
- Keep a journal: At the end of each day, I sit down for 5 minutes to write down my thoughts. I write about what went well and what didn’t. I also include a few lines about what I’m thankful for. For example, I appreciate the person who let me go in front of them at the grocery store. I’m grateful for the delicious meal my wife cooked for me. I’m thankful for the interesting discussion I had with one of my students.
- Look for silver linings: We can find some good in almost every situation. For example, I had a busy day at work, but I can be grateful I have a job that provides for my family. My boss complained about something I did, but I can be thankful I know about it now, so I don’t repeat the same mistake. Look for the little bit of good in every situation.
- Do something nice for someone else: It’s easy to get consumed by our daily tasks and responsibilities. So, of course, when something doesn’t go our way, we get upset. But when we use our time and energy to help someone else, we realize we are not the center of the universe. Although we face challenges, many others deal with even more significant problems in life. Kindness is the cure for negativity.
So what are you grateful for today?
- enhance (verb): verbessern
- complain (verb): sich beschweren
- incorporate (verb): jdn./etw. einbeziehen
- upset (adj.): aufregen
- cure (noun): Heilung
Phrases to Remember
- to be thankful for something: expressing gratitude and relief.
- silver lining: A silver lining is a metaphor for optimism, which means a negative occurrence may have a positive aspect to it.
Learning TipApply one of the three pieces of advice to be a more grateful person.
Question to consider
How grateful are you in your daily life?
- 10 ways to be more grateful
- 8 ways to have more gratitude every day
- Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
- Support the podcast with a tip
Leave a Reply