On this episode, I chat with a friend about opening the door to new opportunities.
English Level: B2 🇺🇸🇨🇦
- Introduction (0:21)
- What does it mean to open the door? (1:26)
- A story about serendipity (02:45)
- Small changes and little things as a way to open the door (05:18)
- Meghan’s story of how she opened a door at Oktoberfest in Munich (09:10)
- Jorge’s and Meghan’s experiences in university (12:20)
- Cultural challenges (14:20)
- The necessity of opening and closing doors (17:00)
- The story of how Meghan met her husband (21:08)
- Conclusion of what opening the door is all about (27:33)
- Audience question (29:49)
- Heaviness (noun)- Schweregefühl
- Serendipity(noun) – glücklicher Zufall, Fügung
- Intern / internship (noun) – Praktikant / Praktikum
- Risk averse (adj) – risikoscheu
- Spouse (noun) – Ehepartner
- Nuance (noun) – Nuance, Abstufung
- Racks (noun) – Regale
- scaffolding (noun) – Baugerüste, Gerüst
- solidarity (noun) – Solidarität, Verbundenheit
- inside joke [noun) – ein Scherz zwischen zwei oder mehreren Personen, den Außenstehende nicht verstehen (Deutsch umgangssprachlich: Insider Witz)
Phrases to Remember:
- release tension – to relax
- to open up to someone – If someone opens up, they start to say exactly what they think or feel.
- to fit the mold – to fit into the picture of something
- test the waters – If you test the water or test the waters, you try to find out what reaction an action or idea will get before you do it or tell it to people.
- to check things off – When you check things off, you check or count them while referring to a list of them, to make sure you have considered all of them.
- To slow down – If someone slows down or if something slows them down, they become less active.
- To break the ice – to relieve shyness or reserve, esp between strangers
Mistake to Avoid:
- What story does Jorge tell about how serendipity played a role?
- With how many children did Jorge’s parents come to Canada?
- What does Meghan consider to be part of opening the door?
- What did Meghan do when she came to Germany?
- What was the result of Meghan’s internship in Germany?
- What did Jorge first study when he entered university?
- What is the pressure that Jorge has observed since being in Germany?
- What are the two ways that opening the door can be understood?
- With what feeling did Jorge come back from Costa Rica?
- Where did Meghan meet her husband?
- What is Meghan’s final thought on opening the door?
What is your favorite country you’ve visited?
Question to consider:
What is a goal you’d like to pursue or a skill you’d like to develop? What’s stopping you?
- Meghan on Instagram
- Meghan’s Podcast
- My interview on Meghan’s podcast
- Ep. 26 with Meghan
- Episode about Costa Rica
- Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
- Support the podcast with a tip
Support the podcast by leaving a tip:
Leave a Reply