On this episode, I chat with a digital nomad about his unorthodox lifestyle.
English Level: B1 🇩🇪🇨🇦
- Introduction (0:21)
- How Till got started as a digital nomad (2:01)
- What did your family/friends think about your idea to become a digital nomad? (5:25)
- Did you always know (even as a child) that you wanted to leave Germany? (7:06)
- Is there an age limit to when someone can become a digital nomad? (10:04)
- What should you know before becoming a digital nomad? (12:11)
- Which countries would you recommend for digital nomads? (16:10)
- (True or False) Working in Asia for an American company is not a good idea because of the time difference. (17:07) True
- Do you plan to continue this lifestyle long-term? (18:38)
- What are the mental challenges of the digital nomad lifestyle? (20:29)
- What are the lessons you’ve learned from this lifestyle? (23:46)
- Where can we find you on social media? (29:38)
- Genius (noun): exceptional intellectual or creative power or other natural ability.
- Response (noun): a reaction to something.
- Sieve (verb): examine in detail.
- Abroad (adverb): in or to a foreign country or countries.
- Safety net (noun): a safeguard against possible hardship or adversity.
- Unbearable (adj.): not able to be endured or tolerated.
- Trivial (adj.): of little value or importance.
Phrases to Remember:
- don’t bother with that: If you do not bother to do something or if you do not bother with it, you do not do it, consider it, or use it because you think it is unnecessary or because you are too lazy.
- I can’t stand: Thoroughly dislike; be unable to put up with something or someone.
- To tap into: to gain access to; become friendly with.
- Trade off: exchange something of value, especially as part of a compromise.
- Stash of money: an amount of something that has been stored or hidden, especially a large amount:
- Hotspot: a popular place of entertainment.
- Settle down: to begin to live a quiet and steady life by getting a regular job, getting married, etc.
- Soul-crushing: Demeaning, boring, disheartening.
- To have a blast: to have a good time, to really enjoy oneself.
Mistake to Avoid:
(incorrect use of the collocation do) make decisions NOT do decisions (9:54)
- Why is Jorge still in Germany?
- (True or False) Till invented the concept of the digital nomad.
- What’s another word for digital nomad?
- What was the first country Till flew to as a digital nomad?
- How big should your emergency fund be?
- Where does Till want to settle down?
- How long would it take Till to find a job in a tech hub?
- How did the UK couple make money to travel?
Question to consider:
If you were a digital nomad, which country would you visit first?
• Episode about my name
• Till on Lawin’s podcast
• Nomad list
• Till’s website
• The 4-hour Work Week book
• Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
• Support the podcast with a tip
Support the podcast by leaving a tip:
Leave a Reply