On this episode, I chat with a fellow English teacher about how to learn English effectively.
English Level: B1 🇺🇸🇨🇦
- Introduction (0:21)
- Becoming friends with students (2:02)
- The different places Patrick has taught (3:00)
- What makes someone a successful English learner? (10:21)
- Motivation for learning (14:33)
- Can you tell us about your website? (20:32)
- Final words for English learners (23:03)
- To impart (verb): make (information) known.
- Advantage (noun): a condition or circumstance that puts one in a favourable or superior position.
- Trap (noun): a trick by which someone is misled into acting contrary to their interests or intentions.
- Independent contractor (noun): an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. If you are an independent contractor, then you are self-employed.
- Commodity (noun): a useful or valuable thing.
- Chore (noun): a routine task, especially a household one.
Phrases to Remember:
- faux pas: an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation.
- fizzle out: Fail, end weakly, especially after a hopeful beginning.
- to go hard: to work hard or to do something with intensity.
- long game: refers to active participation in achieving goals which may take some time.
- pain point: specific problems faced by current or prospective customers in the marketplace.
- stick to something: to continue doing or using (something) especially when it is difficult to do so
- to outgrow someone: to stop being interested in or involved with (something or someone) because you have changed as you have grown older.
- bounce ideas off of someone: to talk about (something, such as an idea) with (someone) in an informal way in order to get an opinion
Mistake to Avoid:
- When did Patrick move to Germany?
- Is Patrick an introvert or an extrovert?
- What does Jorge do when he doesn’t know the answer to a question?
- According to Patrick, what makes someone successful at learning a language?
- Which animal does Jorge tell his students to be like so they can learn?
- What was Patrick’s final tip for English learners?
Question to consider:
What do you like about the English language?
- How to learn English successfully
- #1 Learning Tip in the World
- Find Patrick on LinkedIn
- Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
- Support the podcast with a tip
Support the podcast by leaving a tip:
Leave a Reply