Episode Summary: I talk with a Filipino about the Philippines.
English Level: B1 🇵🇭🇨🇦
- Lawin Introduction (0:37)
- Basic information about the Philippines (1:46)
- What was it like to grow up in the Philippines? (5:14)
- Is gay marriage legal in the Philippines? (7:57)
- What are your fondest childhood memories? (9:02)
- What is Manila like? (11:55)
- What does Manny Pacquiao represent to Filipinos? (16:39)
- Why do so many Filipinos live outside of the Philippines? (22:23)
- What do you want Germans to know about your country? (27:47)
- expand (verb): become or make larger or more extensive.
- Gap (noun): a space or interval; a break in continuity.
- Divorce (noun): the legal dissolution of a marriage by a court or other competent body.
- Taboo (noun): a practice that is prohibited or restricted by social or religious custom.
- Explore (verb): travel through (an unfamiliar area) in order to learn about it.
- Commute (verb): travel some distance between one’s home and place of work on a regular basis.
- Notorious (adj.): famous or well known, typically for some bad quality or deed.
- Unbearable (adj.): not able to be endured or tolerated.
- Trunk (noun – North America): an enclosed space at the back of a car for carrying luggage and other goods; a boot.
- Grit (noun): courage and resolve; strength of character.
- Excess (noun): an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable.
- Predecessor (noun): a person who held a job or office before the current holder.
Phrases to Remember:
- harsh reality: If you talk about harsh realities or facts, or the harsh truth, you are emphasizing that they are true or real, although they are unpleasant and people try to avoid thinking about them.
- to come out: openly declare one’s sexual or gender identity.
- to go through a lot: If you go through an experience or a period of time, especially an unpleasant or difficult one, you experience it.
- the poster child (North America): a person or thing that epitomizes or represents a specified quality, cause, etc.
- to prove yourself: to show that one is able to do something or to succeed
- to come in handy: turn out to be useful.
- bridge the gap: to connect two things or to make the difference between them smaller.
- bucket list: a number of experiences or achievements that a person hopes to have or accomplish during their lifetime.
Mistake to Avoid:
(incorrect form of the phrase) to go down in history NOT go on: be remembered or recorded in history.
Comprehension Questions: Don’t forget time stamps
- Where did Lawin do his master’s degree?
- How long were the Spaniards in the Philippines?
- Who set up public schools in the Philippines?
- What percentage of Filipinos are Catholic?
- (True or False) Divorce is not legal in the Philippines.
- What is a difficult time of the year for Jorge?
- What percentage of the Filipino population lives in Manila?
- What are Filipino buses called?
- What did Lawin do to avoid the traffic in Manila?
- How many Filipino professional basketball players are there in the NBA?
- (True or False) When Pacquiao fights there is no crime in the Philippines.
Question to consider:
What do you know about the Philippines and would you like to visit it one day?
- Pop Your Cultural Cherry Podcast
- Find Lawin on Instagram
- Manila’s famous Jeepneys
- Manny Pacquiao highlights
- Top Places to Visit in the Philippines
- 50 Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
Support the podcast by leaving a tip: