Episode Summary: In this episode, I talk about nationalism. The good and the bad.
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
- Introduction (0:21)
- The bad side of nationalism (1:00)
- The good side of nationalism (9:43)
- Gratitude over pride (12:56)
- Recap (17:24)
- Eager (adj.): strongly wanting to do or have something.
- Atrocity (noun): an extremely wicked or cruel act, typically one involving physical violence or injury.
- Sin (noun): an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offence, or omission.
- China (noun): a fine white or translucent vitrified ceramic material.
- Astounding (adj.): surprisingly impressive or notable.
- Proud (adj.): feeling deep pleasure or satisfaction as a result of one’s own achievements, qualities, or possessions or those of someone with whom one is closely associated.
- Earn (verb): gain deservedly in return for one’s behaviour or achievements.
- Reconciliation (noun): the restoration of friendly relations.
- Hostile (adj.): showing or feeling opposition or dislike; unfriendly.
- Gratitude (noun): the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.
Phrases to Remember:
- two sides of a coin: There are two ways to look at something
- point fingers at someone: to accuse or blame (someone)
- dirty laundry: personal or private affairs that one does not want to be made public.
- skeletons in the closet: a discreditable or embarrassing fact that someone wishes to keep secret.
- give someone credit: to believe that someone is good at something or has a particular good quality
Mistake to Avoid:
(incorrect use of the verb to be) crimes that were committed NOT crimes that was committed
- (True or False) Canadians and Americans are very different.
- What percentage of Volkswagen cars were sold in China in 2020?
- Yuval Harari compares terrorists to which insect?
- Which of these inventions is American?
- What is one of the negative consequences of pride?
- (True or False) We should see our nationality as a gift not a reward.
- What is Jorge’s favorite part of German culture?
- What is Canada’s newest public holiday called?
Question to consider:
What do you love about your country’s culture?
- German exports to China
- Canadian nationalism
- Yuval Harari on terrorism
- Episode where I discuss communism
- Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
Support the podcast by leaving a tip: