Episode Summary: On this episode, I talk about the difference between my students who have failed and those who have succeeded at reaching their English goals.
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
- Introduction (0:21)
- Have a positive attitude (1:00)
- Accept that mistakes are a part of the process (4:14)
- Learn from their mistakes (10:27)
- Recap (14:03)
- Curious (adj.): eager to know or learn something.
- Complain (verb): express dissatisfaction or annoyance about something.
- Effort (noun): a vigorous or determined attempt.
- Embarrassed (adj.): to feel awkward, self-conscious, or ashamed.
- Afraid (adj.): unwilling or reluctant to do something for fear of the consequences.
- Impressive (adj.): evoking admiration through size, quality, or skill; grand, imposing, or awesome.
- Tandem partner (noun): a language exchange between two people learning the other person’s native language.
- Excuse (noun): a reason or explanation given to justify a fault or offence.
- Headspace (noun): a person’s state of mind or mindset.
- Growth (noun): the process of developing physically, mentally, or spiritually.
- Overcome (verb): succeed in dealing with (a problem or difficulty).
- Accomplishment (noun): something that has been achieved successfully.
Phrases to Remember:
- from time to time: occasionally
- self-fulfilling prophecy: a prediction that causes itself to be true due to the behavior of the believer.
- your attitude determines your altitude: the key to success really is put simply, have a positive attitude.
- to look up to someone: have a great deal of respect for someone.
Mistake to Avoid:
(incorrect use of the plural) the problem is NOT the problems is
- What is a growth mindset?
- What is attitude?
- What was the brother of Jorge’s friend obsessed with?
- Who did Jorge’s mom speak with every morning?
- What happened when Jorge tried to be perfect at German?
- What does Jorge do when he begins working with a student?
- What is the difference between the students who make improvements and those who don’t after 3 month of lessons?
- What does Jorge say to people who say they have no time?
- Why is Jorge on this planet?
Question to consider:
Which of the three qualities of a successful English learner do you have? Which one is missing?
- Germany a love story episode
- Episode about my mom
- Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
Support the podcast by leaving a tip: