Episode Summary: I talk about an immigrant family and what they can teach us about resilience and hard work.
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
- Story of an immigrant family (0:36)
- Resilience (3:30)
- Sacrifice (5:55)
- What can I do for immigrants? (9:35)
- Recap (12:49)
- To dip (verb): to lower/decrease
- Landscaping (noun): the process of making a garden or other piece of land more attractive by altering the existing design, adding ornamental features, and planting trees and shrubs.
- Survival (noun): the state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.
- Community (noun): a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
- To squeeze (verb: firmly press together
- Resilience (noun): the capacity to recover quickly from difficulties; toughness.
- Adversity (noun): a difficult or unpleasant situation.
- Sacrifice (verb): give up (something valued) for the sake of other considerations.
- Afford (verb): have enough money to pay for.
- Admiration (noun): something regarded as impressive or worthy of respect.
- Expat (noun): a person who lives outside their native country.
- complain (verb): express dissatisfaction or annoyance about something.
Phrases to Remember:
- to step up: come forward for a particular purpose.
- raise a child: Someone who raises a child looks after it until it is grown up.
- Bounce back: to return quickly to a normal condition after a difficult situation or event
- Give something up: part with something that one would prefer to keep.
- Repay someone: do or give something as recompense for (a favour or kindness received).
- Point something out: to talk about or mention (something that one thinks is important)
Mistake to Avoid:
- Where did the immigrant family spend their first few weeks in Canada?
- Where did the family go to work in the summers?
- How many children did this family have?
- Where did Jorge work when he first arrived in Germany?
- How many days did it take to drive from Canada to Guatemala?
- What did Jorge do to help immigrants improve their German?
- Where does Germany rank in terms of how easy it is to make friends?
- What can we do to help immigrants?
Question to consider:
Tell me about something you’ve learned from someone that comes from another country.
- InterNations Survey Results 2021
- Germany one of the worst countries to make friends
- Germany a love story episode
- Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
Support the podcast by leaving a tip: