Episode Summary: I talk about the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer and what his life can teach us today.
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer bio (0:36)
- Silence in the face of evil is evil (7:35)
- It’s not how long you live but how you live (12:24)
- You never know how your life will impact others (13:43)
- Recap (15:05)
- Prominent (adj.): important; famous.
- Well-off (adj.): wealthy.
- Disenchanted (adj.): disappointed by someone or something previously respected or admired; disillusioned.
- Regime (noun): a government, especially an authoritarian one.
- Courage (noun): the ability to do something that frightens one; bravery.
- to cram (verb): force (people or things) into a place or container that is or appears to be too small to contain them.
- Persecution (noun): hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs; oppression.
- Participate (verb): take part in an action or endeavour.
- Privilege (noun): a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.
- Justice (noun): the quality of being fair and reasonable.
Phrases to Remember:
- Raise one’s voice: make your opinion clearly known.
- Stand up for something: to defend or support a particular idea or a person who is being criticized or attacked
- Speak out against something: If you speak out against something or in favour of something, you say publicly that you think it is bad or good.
Mistake to Avoid:
(incorrect verb) take small steps NOT make small steps
- What influenced him when he moved to New York?
- What was Bonhoeffer’s brother-in-law involved in?
- What did Bonhoeffer and von Dohnanyi personally do?
- When was Bonhoeffer arrested?
- Where does our plastic recycling end up?
- How did Bonhoeffer influence people in South Africa?
Question to consider:
How do you want to be remembered when you die?
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer Biography
- Where does our plastic end up?
- Plastic Waste and the Myth of Recycling
- The True Cost of Fast Fashion
- 50 Most Common Mistakes Germans Make in English
Support the podcast by leaving a tip:
Cover image: © epd-bild /Gütersloher Verlagshaus