Episode Summary: I tell the inspiring story of a young girl who overcomes many obstacles in order to get an education.
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
- Story (0:37)
- Fearlessness (4:25)
- Determination (7:15)
- Faith (10:20)
- abusive (adj.): engaging in or characterized by habitual violence and cruelty.
- restless (adj.): unable to rest or relax as a result of anxiety or boredom.
- accumulate (verb): gather together or acquire an increasing number or quantity of.
- debt (noun): a sum of money that is owed or due.
- rant (verb): speak or shout at length in an angry, impassioned way.
- admire (verb): regard with respect or warm approval.
- inferior (adj.): lower in rank, status, or quality.
- impressive (adj.): evoking admiration through size, quality, or skill; grand, imposing, or awesome.
- overcome (verb): succeed in dealing with (a problem or difficulty).
- faith (noun): complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
Phrases to Remember:
- run away: leave or escape from a place, person, or situation.
- to profess one’s love: admitting your love out in the open no matter how socially awkward it may be.
- to not care: without interest or concern.
- to face one’s fears: It involves gradually exposing someone to their fears.
- to be worth it: used to say that you gain something from an action.
- make one’s dreams come true: something you have wanted very much for a long time that has now happened
- patriarchal society: a social system in which men hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property.
- stand up to someone: make a spirited defence against someone or something.
Mistake to Avoid:
(infinitive after the verb ‘work hard’) work hard to build this business NOT work hard building this business.
- Where was Lidia born?
- What did Lidia do to earn extra money?
- Which country did Lidia move to?
- What did Lidia do when she visited Germany for the first time?
- What was Jorge afraid of when he first moved to Germany?
- What can we do to overcome our fears?
- What did Jorge do for money when he moved to Germany?
- How can we develop more determination?
Question to Consider:
What are the beliefs that most influence your decisions and behavior?
Support the podcast by leaving a tip: