This is a story of change and evolution in my life. // Dies ist eine Geschichte über Veränderung und Wachstum in meinem Leben.
English Level: B1 🇨🇦
The Mirror by Jorge Robleto
When I was 14 years old I got really bad acne. It got so bad I was embarrassed to look at myself in the mirror. I walked through the halls of my school with my head down and never looked people in the eyes. I didn’t want people to see what I had become.
One day, when I was 16, I was sitting in a Burger King when a young man came and sat down in front of me. He said, “I know what you’re going through. I went through the same situation. There’s a solution.” He told me about a medication I should take and walked away.
That day I went home and stared at myself in the mirror. It was painful. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I cried uncontrollably. I knew I had to do something about it.
I told my parents what the young man had said. They took me to the doctor, I got the prescription, and within six months my acne was gone.
I was a new person. I could touch my face and feel a smooth surface. There were scars, many scars that I carry to this day, but the warts and blackheads were gone.
Could it be that we go through life ignoring our flaws and personal demons?
We prefer to keep our head down and pretend there’s nothing there. Until one day, we can no longer hide it from the world. We’re exposed as we really are. But that’s not the end of the story. Now we can do something about it. The first step towards change is recognition that something is wrong. That’s when healing begins.
What do you see when you look in the mirror? Take a closer look.
- acne (noun): the occurrence of inflamed or infected sebaceous glands in the skin; in particular, a condition characterized by red pimples on the face, prevalent chiefly among teenagers.
- stare (verb): look fixedly or vacantly at someone or something with one’s eyes wide open.
- prescription (noun): an instruction written by a medical practitioner that authorizes a patient to be provided a medicine or treatment.
- blackhead (noun): a small plug of darkened sebum and dead skin cells that fills a pore of the skin especially on the face.
- recognition (noun): acknowledgement of the existence, validity, or legality of something.
Phrases to Remember
- go through: undergo a difficult period or experience.
Think about the areas in your life/personality that you’d like to change/improve.
Support the podcast by leaving a tip:
Leave a Reply